9/11

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 19 12:54:15 UTC 2001

In a message dated 10/16/01 5:43:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM writes:

> Has anyone else noted the usage of '9/11' (spoken as 'nine-eleven') as a
>  shorthand reference to the events of 11 Sept, and how it echoes '911', the
>  emergency number?

My wife claims that the terrorists deliberately chose "nine one one" for
their attacks due to the symbolism.

>  <snip> I've heard people refer to the phone number as nine-eleven; I say
>  nine-one-one.

In this area at least, "nine one one" rather than "nine eleven" has a certain
"official" status, i.e. all the local police cars have painted on them "CALL
9 - 1 - 1" with hyphens separating the digits.

        James A. Landau
        Systems Engineer
        FAA Technical Center (ACT-350/BCI)
        Atlantic City Airport NJ 08405 USA