Sloppy Joe's

Ed Keer edkeer at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 19 13:27:52 UTC 2001

 The recent post on Sloppy Joe's remined me of
something that's been bothering me. I grew up in
southeastern Pennsyvania and ate Sloppy Joe's all my
life.  My mother's recipe is something like the recipe
posted, without the gumbo soup. Anyway, when I moved
to central New Jersey I found that a Sloppy Joe was
what I would call a "special" sandwich--deli meat
(corned beef, turkey, roast beef) with russian
dressing and cole slaw. This homophony caused great
dissapointment at a local diner when I ordered a
Sloppy Joe and got a special.

Now I had already reluctantly let "sub" into my
vocabulary, replacing my beloved "hoagie".  I wasn't
about to change Sloppy Joe.  Does anyone have any idea
if the New Jersey use of Sloppy Joe is widespread?
Anyone else as confused as I am?

Ed