Jazzology (1916); Swiss Enchiladas

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 19 18:22:22 UTC 2001

RUGGELACH & TACOS AL CARBON

   These are the correct spellings from the 1968 and 1971 books that I cited.  Whether the books' spellings are correct or not is another story.

SWISS ENCHILADAS (continued)

   I think I once posted a 1969 citation (check archives).  From Sam Huddleston's TEX-MEX COOKBOOK (1971), Pg. 11:

   _ENCHILADAS SUIZA (Swiss Enchiladas)_
(...)
   The makins for this heavenly dish are as follows:
1 dozen tortillas
1 pt. sour cream
1 can tomatoes
1 small can of green chiles (see footnote)
1 clove diced garlic
2 diced onions
1/2 lb. cheddar cheese grated
a kiss of oregano
deep fat
   For sauce saute onions and garlic in salad oil, add chiles, tomatoes and oregano and cook till it thickens; add salt to taste.
   Next you steal a chicken and bake it, then chop it and add the cheddar cheese plus the sour cream.  In deep fat you'll heat tortillas till soft (just a few seconds), then dip in sauce and roll with chicken

(Forgot to copy the next page--ed.)

UNCLE JAKE SEZ:
A BOOK OF SAYINGS, POETRY, PHILOSOPHY AND JAZZOLOGY BY THE NOTED BASEBALL EXPERT OF RED SOX, TEXAS
by Oswin Kerrin King
1916

   "THE AUTHOR" by Harry C. Withers, Managing Editor, Dallas Evening Journal, has:

   The author is a native of this state, having spent his boyhood days in Greenville and Fort Worth, where he received his early education. (...)  His character--"Uncle Jake"--is the creation of his own brain, whose career was launched in the Evening Journal four years ago.

   Four years ago?  Didn't the Evening Journal start in 1914?  So "four years ago" would be 1912?
   The book is dated 1916.  "Jazzology" is the only "jazz" that I could find in a quick first glance.
   Under "How It Started," the author humorously defines other terms (but not "jazz"):

Pg. 41:
   BUGS, WHERE'D YA GIT THAT STUFF, BY GOSH, BY HECK
Pg. 42:
   NOT BY A JUGFUL, JIMMINEY CRACKER, ROUGH NECK
Pg. 43:
   BUSH WA, DAD GUM IT
Pg. 44:
   PASSING THE BUCK, BY JINGOES, HUM AND HAW AROUND
Pg. 45:
   TUT-TUT, GOSH ALL HEMLOCK
Pg. 46:
   BY HOKEY