Quinceanera; Texas Ranger

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 20 04:41:25 UTC 2001

QUINCEANERA

   DARE asked for "quinceanera" (Spanish; a young woman's fifteenth birthday
celebration) before the 1970s or 1980s.
   Located here at the University of Texas at Austin is the Nettie Lee Benson
Latin American Collection (www.lib.utexas.edu/benson/).  There were three
books on the topic--all recent, and all without a bibliography.  The staff
couldn't help me.
   Nothing is easy!

TEXAS RANGER

   TEXAS RANGER is the humor magazine here.  I checked out a few issues at
the start in 1922-1924, then 1948-1951 (for "corndog" and "Margarita" and
"Aztec two-step"); then 1963-1969 (for "New York minute").  I ran out of time
and couldn't read more--the desk closed at 9:30 p.m.
   I could come back tomorrow, but it's on to Sanantone.  The Alamo is
supposed to be unforgettable.

September 1948, TEXAS RANGER, pg. 32.  (Cartoons of football terms with these
captions--ed.)
statue of liberty; punt; off-side; incomplete pass; substitute; quarterback
sneak; hidden ball; line plunge

October 1949, TEXAS RANGER, pg. 24:  _HOT PASTROMI!_ by liz smith (Yes ,the
famous gossip columnist--ed.)

December 1949, TEXAS RANGER, pg. 13, col. 1:
_Thomas Ball Hamilton scored_
_308 points last season with_
_his "peculiar" hook shot_
(OED has 1957 for "hook shot." )

February 1950, TEXAS RANGER, "Texas Folklore" by bill bridges, pg. 26, col. 2:
   _GO FLY A KITE_
   A Chinaman living near the University once killed a kite, a bird of the
hawk family.  Handing it to his wife, he commanded, "Go fly a kite!" meaning,
of course, that she should fry it.  A passing student noted that the woman
was being given the bird while told this unusual phrase, so, that night, when
his date took him for a buck twenty in beer and wouldn't neck, he told her
"Go fly a kite!"

March 1962, TEXAS RANGER:
Pg. 36, col. 2:  _John!_
Pg. 37, col. 1:  _Marsha!_
(A popular soap opera cliche.  My previous citation in the old archives is
missing--ed.)

October 1964, TEXAS RANGER, pg. 22, col. 1:  "The students' reactions to
their party ('session,' 'voyage,' 'flight,' 'transcendence') points up the
reasons why so much heat is generated when mescaline and other
'hallucinogens' are mentioned in medical and legal circles."

March 1965, TEXAS RANGER, pg. 29, col. 2 ad:
HOLIDAY HOUSE
FLAME-KISSED HAMBURGERS

November 1965, TEXAS RANGER, pg. 26, col. 1:
_The Hoo-hah Movement_
(...)(Col. 3--ed.)
   _Do you have a war cry?_
   I just say _Hoo-hah_!  That makes me feel so good.  That's why we're
called the Liberation Front, because when you say this you feel real
liberated.  _Hoo-hah_!  My roommate says it kind of funny, fast, and in a
high voice--_Hoo-hah_!  But that is freedom of individual expression.
(Related to "hoo-yah"?--ed.)

(HAND SIGNALS:  UT is known as the Longhorns.  The hand signal is same as
"two outs" in baseball.  Index finger and pinkie both up to from the "horns."
 There's a statue of the hand signal on campus near the football stadium, and
people used it also in today's newspaper.  I looked for that and/or "the
bird" in TEXAS RANGER, but didn't spot either in the issues I read--ed.)