Ciopino (1936); Romaine (Caesar) Salad (1933)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 20 18:17:17 UTC 2001

   Greetings from San Antonio.  I'm staying at the Adam's Mark Hotel on Pecan Street.  I can this Texas Pecan Pie thing right with not a moment to spare.

CIOPINO (continued)

EATING MY WAY THROUGH ITALY
by Henry Aimes Abot
Golden State Company, Ltd.
1936

Pg. 18:
   We tell the proprietor that we wish a dish of his famous Ciopino, a dish of which Genoese sailors dream during long nights at sea.
   And no wonder!  SO many varieties of fish have found their way into this kettle that we give up trying to name them all.  Ciopino is similar to the French Bouillabaise, but a lighter affair.

(Recipe follows--ed.)

ROMAINE (CAESAR) SALAD

FAMOUS RECIPED BY FAMOUS PEOPLE
Cook Printing Co., Austin, Texas
1933

Pg. 29:
   _ROMAINE SALAD_
   Rub salad bowl with garlic.  Over a crisp head of romaine break a 3 minute soft boiled egg, squeeze juice of 1 lemon, salt and pepper to taste, dash of Worcestershire sauce, and sprinkle mixture with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.  Mix thoroughly and serve.  No dressing is required.
   Oliver Hardy,
   Hal Roach Artist.

(Oliver Hardy!  The fat one of Laurel & Hardy!  This is Caesar Salad, about thirteen years before I've found that name.  Hail, Hardy!--ed.)