Swiss Enchiladas

Kim & Rima McKinzey rkmck at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Oct 24 07:27:01 UTC 2001

>...Agreed.  "Enchiladas suizas" (always rendered in that form) were a
>standard casserole item at graduate student parties and potlucks in
>LA in the late '60s, and I've never had them or even seen them
>anywhere else.

Just had some Sunday evening - at a neighborhood Mexican restaurant
here in the SF Bay Area.

>  The recipe was similar, but without the deep fat
>frying and sometimes with chicken in the filling.  Notice that Mark
>refers to Swiss cheese, but the recipe Barry reprints calls for
>cheddar.  I recall Monterey Jack being used in this and similar
>"Cal-Mex" recipes but the enchiladas were still called Swiss.

The choice was chicken or cheese filling - and the cheese was either
cheddar or jack I think.  It had green chili sauce and sour cream on
top.  Don't know nothin' about the deep fat part, these certainly
weren't fried.  They were just like regular enchiladas except for
green chili instead of red and the sour cream.

Rima