Props

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 25 04:31:07 UTC 2001

At 8:35 AM -0700 10/25/01, Margaret Lee wrote:
>In her 1967 hit,"R-E-S-P-E-C-T," Aretha Franklin says, "All I want
>you to do for me is give me my propers when you get home."
>The hip-hop generation shortened it to props.
>
>Margaret

Do you have independent evidence for that gloss?  I always heard it
as "profits", and the web sites giving the lyrics to the Otis Redding
song (yes, Aretha had the hit recording, but Otis was the writer).

Here's one version, for example; emphasis added:

(oo) What you want
(oo) Baby, I got
(oo) What you need
(oo) Do you know I got it?
(oo) All I'm askin'
(oo) Is for a little respect when you come home (just a little bit)
Hey baby (just a little bit) when you get home
(just a little bit) mister (just a little bit)

I ain't gonna do you wrong while you're gone
Ain't gonna do you wrong (oo) 'cause I don't wanna (oo)
All I'm askin' (oo)
Is for a little respect when you come home (just a little bit)
Baby (just a little bit) when you get home (just a little bit)
Yeah (just a little bit)

I'm about to give you all of my money
And all I'm askin' in return, honey
Is to give me my profits
When you get home  (just a, just a, just a, just a)
Yeah baby          (just a, just a, just a, just a)
When you get home  (just a little bit)
Yeah               (just a little bit)

larry

------ instrumental break ------