"If you want to send a message, use Western Union"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 25 21:10:25 UTC 2001

   Attributed to Louis B. Meyer or Samuel Goldwyn.  I don't know what Fred Shapiro has, but this is a famous Hollywood phrase.
   From an ad in the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE (for the SATURDAY EVENING POST), 3 February 1954, pg. 32:

_Hollywood's "corn" prince_
Uplift?  Messages?  "I should blow $2,000,000 to send a message?" cried movie producer Joe Pasternak.  "Western Union is cheaper!"

   From the SATURDAY EVENING POST, 6 February 1954, pg. 32:

_NEVER MAKE AN AUDIENCE THINK_
By CAMERON SHIPP
Uplift? Messages?  Not in Joe Pasternak's frothy musical films.  Esther Williams, dancing girls--that's the stuff!  "I should blow $2,000,000 to send a message?" cries the happy Hungarian.  "Western Union is cheaper!"