*#!@

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 25 11:29:22 UTC 2001

At 4:53 PM -0400 10/25/01, George Thompson wrote:
>I discover that Jesse Sheidlower had a predecessor for his book "The F-
>Word".
>
>Maciej Widawski, The Fucktionary = Slownik wyrazen z fuck, Gdansk:
>Wydawn.  Comprendo, 1994.  219pp.
>
>This is in better libraries everywhere, specifically Stanford,
>Princeton, Cornell & NYPL.  Not Bobst, which in this case is an
>inferior library, but I am working on it.

Wonder if it's actually IN those libraries that list it (I assume
electronically) as being there.  I note that while the Sterling
Memorial Library at Yale may appear to be a "better library" in the
Thompsonian classification schema because it does list the First New
Haven Slang Dictionary as owned and "not checked out", when I
searched the stacks for it, it wasn't actually there.  We don't list
the above treatise at all, but a later work (possibly incorporating
the Fucktionary?) by Widawski, The Polish-English Dictionary of Slang
and Colloquialism (1997) is listed as present in the stacks.  Still,
I fear ours is definitely an inferior library by GAT's extremely
rigorous assessment standard.

larry