Definition of earlier baseball term "shoot"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sat Oct 27 14:50:55 UTC 2001

    I am pleased to see that Paul Dickson is preparing a new edition
of his baseball dictionary, and I have been contacted for input from
his assistant, Skip McAfee.  Today Mr. McAfee sent out an e-mail
message on the 19th/early 20th century baseball term "shoot" (refers
to a pitch).
    With the benefit of further research I would now define a "shoot"
as "a pitch, especially a fastball." It seems very likely that the
term originated as a fastball, with hard throwing likened to
artillery fire; but from Mr. McAfee's examples where "shoot" refers
to a curveball and from a few that I found where "shoot" could refer
to a spitball, I see that my blanket statement about "shoot"
referring (only) to a fastball is incorrect.

    Presented just below is Mr. McAfee's e-mail message. I'll follow
up on this in a few minutes with a second message; I just don't want
the present one to get too long.

---Gerald Cohen