Hero sandwich (Brooklyn Navy Yard, 1947); F-cktionary

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Oct 28 03:28:35 UTC 2001

HERO (continued)

   From the NEW YORK NAVAL SHIPYARD SHIPWORKER (Brooklyn, NY), 19 February 1947, pg. 3, col. 1:

   The picture of _Frank La Barbera_ in the last issue of the _Shipworker_ showed him eating a large ham sandwich.  They should take a snapshot of you, _Frank_, when you devour your 3 Heros at lunch time.  Meatballs make good blood.

(There it is, but I'm still somewhat puzzled. THE SHIPWORKER got larger in late 1946, but still, why didn't I find "hero" before this?  And why not a photo, or another cite?  Why, when I visited Brooklyn College, did I find "hero" much later?  Why is it also much later in the Brooklyn phonebooks?--ed.)