Definition of earlier baseball term "shoot" (pt. 3)

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Oct 30 14:41:15 UTC 2001

To add to previous posts on the baseball use of "shoot":

I can testify personally to the present-day use of "shoot", both as a noun
and a verb, in reference to pitching.  Common exclamations, often shouted
out during a game by coaches or fellow players to their pitcher, are as
follows:

"Way to shoot!"

"Good shoot!"

Both have the same basic meaning: 'That was a great pitch'.  I'd say that
typically the term is used of a fastball, but not always.

Frank Abate