origin of moonshine

Anita Manning manning at LAVA.NET
Wed Oct 31 03:39:55 UTC 2001

Good day:
I am an  teacher in informal and lifelong learning classes.  I am leading a
full-moon
moonlight hike and doing some story telling about local history in the
process.  There
are some good stories illustrating various historical points and dealing
with illegal
distilling of liquor.  Obviously, the word moonshine is appropriate.  After
several
web, dictionary, encyclopedia and other reference type inquiries, I find no
origin for
the word moonshine.  Bootleg I already knew (carrying tax-free liquor in
your boot,
era Civil War and after) and verified.  Moonshine is proving harder to
find.  One of
my web searches turned up your list.  I'm hoping someone in your group has
access to more tools for word origin.

Any stories for origin of the word to describe illegally made liquor?

Mahalo (thanks in Hawaiian).

Anita Manning

Anita Manning / Steven Lee Montgomery, Ph. D.
94-610 Palai Street, Waipahu, Hawai'i 96797-4535 USA
tel 808-676-4974   fax 808-677-3721
email <manning at lava.net>

Montane Matters: Mountains to shore, Past to Present
Consulting and education in Hawai'i and the Pacific: Biology and history,
film and photos