CONtract/conTRACT

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 31 12:28:34 UTC 2001

>To all:

For me too, it depends on which verb.  Not only do I con-TRACT a
disease (hopefully not anthrax)  or an obligation or an auxiliary
verb, but my time also con-TRACTS, while I might CON-tract (not
con-TRACT!) a marriage.  Curiously, the sources (like AHD4) simply
give the two alternate patterns for stressing the verb while listing
the various senses ('to enter into by contract', 'to acquire or
incur', 'to shrink', 'to shorten by omitting sounds or letters',
etc.) without attempting to figure out which stress pattern goes with
which senses.  For me, the clearly denominal ones (contracting with
someone) preserve the nominal (CON) stress pattern while the clearly
verbal ones (contracting one's pupils or auxiliary verbs) have verbal
(TRACT) stress.

larry