gaffone/gavone

Peter Farruggio pfarr at UCLINK4.BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Sep 6 16:37:32 UTC 2001

The Italian word is cafone, but is pronounced  ga - VOON in most southern
dialects.  I don't have a dictionary, but the meaning among most users is
much stronger than "fool"  Urban folks use it in much the same way that
"redneck" or "hillbilly" is used in the US.  Kids are told such things as
"They are people who don't bathe, who throw their garbage in the street,
who don't go to the bathroom properly, " etc

Pete Farruggio