seeking AAVE/SAE matched guise speech samples

Fri Sep 7 12:46:16 UTC 2001

The difference between southern white and black speech is of
long-standing linguistic interest. These recent messages overlook a
couple of intereting line sof enquirey.

1) Why would African slaves have simply learned Southern white
English? Why wouldn't they (in such large numbers) have contributed
to the development of the variety?

2) What we know suggests that the present-day Southern variety of US
English is not a long-standing one at all. That is, fairly recent
changes have brought about what we think of today as Southern.

3) The ability to distinguish one ethnic group from another on the
basis of speech may not always lie in the characteristics most often
studied by dialactologists (although recent work by John Baugh in his
work on "linguistic profiling" shows that distinctive features of
pronunciatrion are indeed salient in such identification). Different
voice settings (e.g., creaky voice), different intonation patternms
(woefully understudied in US dialectology), and different "ways of
speaking" (various poragmatic features) may be much more important
than vowels and consonants.

I leave lexicon, morphology, and syntax out of it, although all play
important roles, but this discussion sees to have focused on
phonology.

dInIs

PS: Would somebody send me some tapes of General American? It's the
only US dialect I don't have in my collection. I'd love to be able to
play it for students.

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages