"being have"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Fri Sep 7 22:29:43 UTC 2001

There should be a verb "have" (or "'have") /heiv/ (= "behave") to go with
the noun "havior"/"'havior" (which of course = "behavior").

"Hamlet", Act I, Scene II:

<<'Tis not alone my inky cloak, good mother,
     Nor customary suits of solemn black,
     Nor windy suspiration of forc'd breath,
     No, nor the fruitful river in the eye,
     Nor the dejected havior of the visage,
     Together with all forms, moods, shapes of grief,
     'That can denote me truly. These indeed seem,
     For they are actions that a man might play;
     But I have that within which passeth show --
     These but the trappings and the suits of woe.>>

"Havior" appears in Webster's Third.

I agree that this "have" is probably simply a contraction of "behave".

-- Doug Wilson