Flash! magazine (1937)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Sep 11 23:38:51 UTC 2001

   FLASH! magazine was born about the same time as PIC, but FLASH! covered "Negroes."  I went through some of 1937 yesterday and found a "large apple" for New York City (the Big Apple dance was in 1937), but I don't know where that is now.

4 July 1937, pg. 18, col. 1:
   Dig this will ya?

9 August 1937. pg. 12, col. 2:
   Rug-cut?  Well, that's a new name for the Lindy hop.  Too many flyers passed the Atlantic bounding main under themselves since the Lindbergh hop--so, it's now simply Rug-cut.  The name explains itself.  The dance is what (Rug-cutting); who (Rug-cutters); damaged (Rug).

13 September 1937, pg. 12, col. 2:
   When the _COTTON_ Club opens in September, even sepias with the necessary dough-re-mi won't witness the (?) unless they're guest of some of the stars.

27 September 1937, pg. 8, col. 2:
   _COLLEGIATE RAMIFICATIONS_ the harbinger of the fall season, drop on us with a chill...not to mention the celebrated "swing sisters," "weed parties"...

4 October 1937, pg. 8, col. 3:
   ..."How's your box"...
(A risque greeting, but copy is illegible--ed.)

25 October 1937, pg. 12, col. 2:
   ...mean an unwanted "Freebie" ticket back home...

(M-W has 1942 for "freebie."  The only citation that beats this is a 1928 "freeby" in the RHHDAS--ed.)