Hollyweed

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Sep 15 11:04:51 UTC 2001

HOLLYWEED

     "Hollyweed" (for "Hollywood") came up on some net surfing today.  It's not in Jonathan Green's CDS or the HDAS.

     "Of the many fabulous coinages of Dr. Seuss," he (Saul Steinmetz--ed.) recalls, "only _grinch_ made it into the common vocabulary, in the transferred sense of 'a spoilsport or killjoy'--and it took 20 years."
     ---"Screening the novel words of Harry Potter" by Jeff McQuain, the "On Language" column in the NEW YORK TIMES MAGAZINE, 16 September 2001.

    "Nerd."
    From Dr. Seuss.  Made it into the vocabulary almost immediately.  Any lexicographer would be able to point this out.
    YOU write a letter to the editor and correct it.  They didn't believe me recently when I walked over a 1959 ad for "personal computer."  The "On Language" column, in particular, wouldn't spell a dead man's name correctly, cite his words correctly, correct a quote of mine, or even talk to me about it.  No ADS members would help on my behalf.  It took the New York Times four years to even correct Barry "Popick."  And even that--my NAME!--involved an extended bit of trickery on the Times's Abuzz network to get right.
   I've had it.