What does ACCENT mean in American English?

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Sat Sep 15 16:16:07 UTC 2001

I believe that the unmarked, basic meaning of 'accent' in the speech
community as a whole is the linguistic one.  I'd bet a week's pay that
virtually anyone encountering the word in isolation and asked what it meant
would say something about speech.  In the context under discussion, the fact
that the speaker says "her" (instead of "the") makes it pretty clear that
that must  have been the meaning here too.  It may not have been
specifically a geographical accent or even a non-English one that was
meant -- maybe just a dislike of the general way the teacher spoke that for
some reason grated on the student (who knows what personal associations
might be involved here).

Victoria

Victoria Neufeldt
1533 Early Drive