Big Terror; Lindy's Cheesecake & Frozen Bananas

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 16 15:14:57 UTC 2001

BIG TERROR

   There's Big Steel, Big Tobacco, and Big Music.
   From the web (Seattle Times, 9-14-2001?):

   Everything reminds us of what happened on Tuesday when Big Terror took on the Big Apple--and almost won.

LINDY'S CHEESECAKE & FROZEN BANANA

   I didn't have much of a chance to go through Clementine Paddleford's columns.
   From THIS WEEK magazine, NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 3 October 1948, pg, 46, col. 3:

   _Lindy's Cheesecake_
   2 1/2 pounds cream cheese
   1 3/4 cups sugar
   3 tablespoons flour
   1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange rind
   1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
   Pinch of vanilla bean pulp of 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
   5 eggs
   2 egg yolks
   1/4 cup heavy cream
   Combine cream cheese, sugar, flour, grated orange and lemon rind, and vanilla.  Add eggs and egg yolks, one at a time, stirring lightly after each addition.  Stir in cream.

   From THIS WEEK, NYHT, 17 October 1948, pg. 47, col. 3:

_Frozen bananas_  that's the latest concoction skewered to a stick and chocolate-covered, then frozen and wax-paper-bagged to sell from deep freezers to groceries and drugstores.  Distribution to date in Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Paul.

MISC.:

>From THIS WEEK, NYHT, 3 October 1948, pg. 26, col. 2: "There is an old joke, the tag line of which runs as follows: 'That horse ain't blind, he just don't give a darn.'"

WINDY CITY:  There has been no response from Don Wycliff, the Public Editor of the Chicago Tribune.  It's been a month.  The Chicago Tribune twice (this year) said that New York Sun editor Charles Anderson Dana coined "Windy City." I have asked ADS members who can write perhaps less passionate letters to write to the Public Editor.  Nothing gets corrected.

NEW YORK TIMES:  I walked in the 1959 "personal computer" citation to the New York Times three weeks ago.  The editor then went on vacation, but last Monday morning he e-mailed me that he was back.  I didn't see any correction this Sunday (electronic version).  It's bad enough that I make no money at all, but when people aren't kind to me and let errors stand, it's more than I can take.