Barry Popik

Tue Sep 18 20:55:32 UTC 2001

There seems to be a general misunderstanding of my stance in all this (and
I speak only for myself).  Surely we can distinguish between scholarly work
and personal asides.  As a linguist and dialectologist, I scan Barry's
messages because I do find items in them well worth passing on to my
students; I'm not about to delete them without at least a quick
look-see.  But I too have written him privately to suggest a bit more
kindness, a bit less bluntness, etc.  Why can't we all just try to stick to
scholarly contributions (and maybe not so scholarly--"amateurs" are welcome
on this list and always have been) and save our personal comments for
private notes to our friends (or enemies)?  So, right off I'll apologize
for writing my complaint to the list rather than to Barry privately--and I
won't even excuse it as a "slip."