Hero (1949)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Sep 21 02:11:49 UTC 2001

   This beats the later Clementine Paddleford article on the "hero sandwich" that's in the ADS-L archives.  I think it's from 1951.
   From Clementine Paddleford's column in the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 11 August 1949, pg. 11, col. 8:

   MAIL-BAG--(...)
   A man without a name writes to tell us to go to the foot of the class regarding Rehoboth Beach's double submarine sandwich which we told how to make in last week's "This Week."  "Shucks," writes our reader, "go down to Cherry and Catherine Streets and any little Italian grocery store there can make a sandwich bigger and I'll bet better than the one you reported.  Ask for a 'Hero.'"  We have.  We know all about them.  But double submarine is quite a different picnic.  It's less Italian, in flavor it's modern America.  See last Sunday's "This Week" for the full particulars.