More Frenchified?

Fri Sep 21 13:57:55 UTC 2001

larry,

Give an ear to classical music stations and you will hear
Frenchification in languages other than French, in this case
final-stress placement. Since it is my father-tongue, I suppose I am
oversensitive to this in Hungarian (which always places stress on the
first syllable) when such oddities as barTOK and koDALY (the latter
even with, amazingly, more or less correct realization of the final
-daly syllable) surface.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston