New York: Capital du monde (1949)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Sep 21 20:08:02 UTC 2001

NEW YORK: CAPITAL OF THE WORLD (continued)

   "New York: Capitale du monde" is the title of a piece in THIS WEEK magazine, NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 18 September 1949, pg. 6.
   From Page 7:

   SINCE London and Paris joined Rome and Athens in the shadows of dimmed glory, the Capital of the World has crossed the Atlantic and settled in New York.

(Current Mayor Rudy Giuliani re-popularized the phrase, which has not been used much the past 10 days--ed.)

UNACCUSTOMED AS I AM TO PUBLIC SPEAKING...

   George Thompson was interested in this phrase.  "Unaccustomed As I Am..." is the title above a priceless baby photo in the same THIS WEEK, NYHT, 18 September 1949, pg. 16.

TUNNEL VISION

   OED has 1949.
   From THIS WEEK, NYHT, 11 September 1949, pg. 13:

_THREE MILLION "BLIND" DRIVERS_
_The startling story of "tunnel vision" and_
_other treacherous eye defects that make too_
_many motorists potential killers.  Few know if_
_they're affected, much less what to do about it_

(JSTOR should have something on this...Attached is from the Chicago Public Library.  I tried again.--ed.)