Goopher Feathers & a Big Bang (1949)

Sun Sep 23 13:59:53 UTC 2001

"Goopher feathers" sounds an awful lot like "foo-foo dust," which has
southern perhaps African-American origins. In my family's usage,
"foo-foo dust" was the mildly sarcastic magical cure for small
problems (especially in such phrases as "Here, let's sprinkle some
foo-foo dust on it"), particularly unreasonable requests or trifling
ills, perhaps especially children's. DARE has "goofer" (and "goofer
dust" in citations under "goofer" in this "magic sense," marked
chiefly southern and African-American). Oddly, DARE has "foo-foo" in
the obviously West African cooked yam sense but only a single entry
for "foo-foo" as dust, and then as a synonym for "dust bunny," "dust
ball," or "dust kitten" but no magical powder sense.

Did we discuss "foo-foo dust" (or a variant) earlier?

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages