FW: Calzone, Sausage Pizza (1947)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 25 18:49:44 UTC 2001

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Laurence Horn wrote:

> Poor New Haven.  We'll be left with just our frisbees to cry into.
> And maybe our (hot) dogs, based on Barry's evidence from the Yale
> Record--it would be ironic if we have to give up our primacy in
> burgers only to capture pride of place for the dogs.

I think Barry's work has given pride of place to New Haven for the TERM
"hot dog," but not for the thing itself.  Under the name "frankfurter" and
variants thereof, the thing is attested in other venues prior to the
earliest New Haven evidence.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,