"nickel"--Douglas Wilson's speculation

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Wed Sep 26 14:29:36 UTC 2001

    Douglas Wilson's speculation seems to be very much on the right
track, viz. that "nickel" in the 1913 quote may be short for "nickel
theater." I would just clarify it a bit: "nickel" seems to be used
below as a synonym for "vaudeville-type comedy" (the vaudeville
theaters may very well have charged an entrance fee of a nickel).

    So in the quote below, Ban Johnson (president of the American
League) is saying that sideline comedy (= "nickel") would be very
appropriate for the Washington team, whose  playing was supposedly so
bad it was a joke. As for  Clark Griffith, he was either the manager
or owner of the Washington team (I don't have the Baseball
Encyclopedia handy).

    Thanx for the assist.

---Gerald Cohen