More 9.11-Related Words

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Thu Sep 27 09:42:10 UTC 2001

--On Wednesday, September 26, 2001 11:37 pm -0500 Tom Kysilko
<pds at VISI.COM> wrote:

> Box cutter
>
> Although it was not hard to guess what this is, the term was new to me.  I
> know the implement as a "utility knife".  Is this regional, or am I just
> overly sheltered?

In the UK media, especially at the beginning when reports were just coming
in, they'd say "box cutters--by which the Americans presumably mean
'Stanley knives'" or "box cutters--which we think might be something like
Stanley knives".

Lynne

M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics