Was the box-cutter used by the terrorists the same as Frank Abate described?

Bruce Dykes bkd at GRAPHNET.COM
Thu Sep 27 11:58:54 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "John D. Hopkins" <hopkins at uta.fi>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2001 07:26
Subject: Was the box-cutter used by the terrorists the same as Frank Abate
described?

> But back to my question.  Has there been an exact description of what type
> of box-cutter was actually used?  The only reference I've seen is that it
> was of Swiss manufacture, purchased in Switzerland.  To me, that would
> seem to rule out the small, simple razor-blade box cutter that I have used
> and Frank Abate described.

Sadly, the only flight likely to give up its history in any sort of detail
is flight 93, and then only if we're lucky. The primary reports of box
cutters and knives came from cell phone calls from passengers on one or more
of the flights, so we're also relying on what *they* interpret as a box
cutter in the middle of what must surely have been a panicked environment.

bkd