"my your recommendation": my opinion

Thom Harrison tharriso at MAIL.MACONSTATE.EDU
Fri Sep 28 17:04:59 UTC 2001

Coul I add my bit here?

"My your recommendation" sounds as wrong to me as it seems to to everyone
else.

But how come that seems wrong to everyone, but "I might could make it to
the party"--the double modal--only sounds wrong to most people?

Could a determined group, by sheer abundant use, force "my your
recommendation" into recognition as part of at least some dialects?

Thom

At 12:05 PM 9/28/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Ron asked:
>

>1. Can one convey the notion 'the recommendation that I wrote on your
>behalf'
>by saying "my your recommendation'?
><<<<<
>
>No.
>

>2. If not, why not?
><<<<<
>
>It feels dead wrong. If I heard it, I would take it as a correction: "my[,
>I mean] your recommendation" and suppose that the speaker meant
>
>     my [that I wrote]
>I mean
>     your [written in your behalf]*
>
>As to why, my off-the-cuff answer is, Two possessive pronouns in a row.
>Does such a construction occur anywhere?
>
>I would say, for short, "my recommendation of you" or possibly "... for
>you".
>
>*Blast and damn, I've forgotten the (largely theoretical) difference
>between "in" and "on" here. Which one is which?
>
>-- Mark A. Mandel

Thom Harrison
Macon State College