Cantatrice (1801); Lady Huskies 39-0

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 1 10:04:43 UTC 2002

OFF TOPIC:  LADY HUSKIES 39-0

   Check out the New York Post's online sports section.  NYC is not so very far from Connecticut; many people commute.  The Post bills itself as "the best sports section in town."
   It's http://www.nypost.com/sports/sports.shtml.
   There are 26 stories in Monday's online sports section.  The 26th story is about the historic 39-0 University of Connecticut Lady Huskies winning the NCAA basketball championship.

CANTATRICE

JOURNEY TO FRANCE AND SPAIN, 1801
by Victor Marie du Pont
edited by Charles W. David
Kennikat Press, Port Washington, NY
1961

Pg. 26:  It began with a concert in which Mrs. Grassini, an Italian Lady or rather _Cantatrice_, displaid all the charms of a most delicious voice.

(OED has 1803, then 1866.  This is from February 1801.  I didn't see this antedate until I re-checked the page--ed.)

LOCKE'S TRAVELS IN FRANCE
1675-1679
edited by John Lough
Cambridge at the University Press
1953

Pg. 194:  The two slideing Iron bars that come downe in the insid of the wooden shuts to fasten them in the night at Mr. Brishan's.
(OED has "shutter" from 1683 and 1720--ed.)

Pg. 195:  The buds of Tragopogon or asparagi are also very good in Salades, wholesome & diuretick.
(OED has 1706 for "Tragopogon"--ed.)

Pg. 195:  In Languedoc they are often to be found & they call them Gimar.
(OED has 1690 for "jumarts" or "gimar."  That citation is also from Locke--ed.)

Pg. 215:  He told me that the best plumbs were
D'Apricot.
Perdrigon.
Diapre.
St. Katherine.
Verte et longe.
Damar Violetes.

Pg. 220:  The best summer pears are:
La Rousselette de Champagne.
La poire de Citron.
La Citron des Carmes.
la poire de Monsieur.
   The best winter pears:
Virgoleuse.
La Verate.
L'Amadote Musque.
la Muscate d'Almagne.
(OED has 1698 for "Virgoleuse"--ed.)

Pg. 225:  They call them macres.(1)
1. _macre_ or _macle_: "water caltrop."
(I think this antedates OED's "macle"--ed.)