yeast rolls

Johnson, Ellen ejohnson at BERRY.EDU
Mon Apr 1 19:53:08 UTC 2002

where I live, in NW Georgia, there are restaurants that serve "rolls, biscuits, or cornbread" where one is generally advised to choose biscuits or cornbread, and then there are those that serve "yeast rolls".  to me the latter denotes a higher quality roll than the "bake n serve" type rolls other restaurants have.  in other words, these are probably made in-house rather than of pre-made, refrigerated dough.  so, yes, the opposition is to biscuits AND cornbread, but there is an added element of meaning too.  Ellen

Ellen Johnson
Assistant Professor of Linguistics
Dept. of English, Rhetoric, and Writing
Berry College, Box 350
Mt. Berry, GA 30149
706-368-5638
http://fsweb.berry.edu/academic/hass/ejohnson/
ejohnson at berry.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon_Beth [mailto:Simon at IPFW.EDU]
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 1:30 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: yeast rolls

In a recent Chronicle article on the firing of a Morris College (SC)
instructor, the phrase "yeast rolls" occurs repeatedly.  The instructor
contends that the firing began with a disagreement over a requested
basket of yeast rolls in an all-you-can-eat restaurant.

Are "yeast rolls" here in contrast to a basket of hushpuppies or corn
bread -- i.e things both without wheat flour and without yeast
leavening?  Or just without yeast leavening, i.e wheat flour rolls in
contrast to any kind of crackers and biscuits as well as hush puppies or
corn bread?

beth