Paprika & more (1843)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 1 19:53:18 UTC 2002

AUSTRIA.
VIENNA, PRAGUE, HUNGARY, BOHEMIA, AND THE DANUBE;
GALICIA, STYRIA, MORAVIA, BUKOVINA, AND THE MILITARY FRONTIER
by J. G. Kohl
London: Chapman and Hall
1843

   More stuff, minus the "robot" and "polka."

Pg. 182:  Their principal nourishment consists of small pieces of beef, rubbed with onions and pepper and roasted; but the pepper--a Hungarian sort called "_Paprika_"--is used in enormous quantities.

Pg. 195:  They live in general, wholly on por and bacon, seasoned so highly with the "Paprika," of which I have already spoen, that no one unaccustomed to these spicy morsels can venture to taste them.

Pg. 209:  Then there were earthen covered pans, for roasting or baking meat, and there were others called _Nudelseiger_, that were pierced through with many holes, for the water to run off from the Nudels or dumplings, which the peasants are wont to boil them in.
(OED has 1779, then 1850 for "noodle"--ed.)

Pg. 212:  In the hotels, all sorts of Paprika dishes are brought--Paprika beef, Paprika bacon, Paprika fish, &c.;--but among the common people the Paprika is so universally understood, that it is seldom mentioned.  One might thin that every thing in Hungary grew seasoned with Paprika, bread being the only exception.
   This plant is, I believe, the same as that called among us, Turkish or Indian pepper (_Capsicum annuum_); the kernel and the husk being ground up together for Paprika, both containing equally the fiery pungent quality.
(Again, OED has 1896...Love those paprika potato chips--ed.)

Pg. 267:  ...would mix us some flour and water and boil it into a _mamaliga_.

Pg. 281:  _Tshiganu_ is the Walachian for a gipsy, but is meant as an opprobious designation when applied to any one also.  _Tshiganie_ means gipsyism, or _ratio Zingarica_.  _Tshiganosu_ means importunate, or as importunate as a gipsy.  _Tschiganescu_ is used as a verb, to signify importunate solicitations (_petesco importune_), to beg as importunately as a gipsy.  _Tshinganesce_, an adverb, means as much as gipsy-like or filthy.

Pg. 330:  ...gusle...
(OED has 1869 for "gusle," an instrument described in detail on this page--ed.)

Pg. 345:  Here a great feast is held, of wine, white bread, meat, fish, brawn, porridge, Belesh (a kind of cake made of twenty thin flaes of dough with slices of apple between), and other favourite Hungarian dishes.

Pg. 368:  The chief dish of all Hungarians, at least in this part of the country, he said, was dumplings with curdled milk. (...)  On Sundays, generally sour kraut )_Toltett kaposzta_); Mondays, sweet cabbage (_Olasz kaposzta_); Tuesdays, another kind of sour kraut called _Savangu kaposzta_; Wednesdays, yellow turnips, cabbage, or lentils; Thursdays, _Savangu repa_, or white turnips preserved in vinegar; Fridays, yellow turnips, and Saturdays, spinach, and so on.

Pg. 395:  On leaving Gratz, we enter the country of the _Cretins_, which are here called _Troddeln_, or _Trotteln_, and in Carinthia, _Kocker_.  (...)  Upper Styria is the chief seat of _Cretinism_...

Pg. 437:  In the evening we had badly baked _Kulatshi_ with our tea, an odd kind of cake, common throughout Rusniak Galicia.  The soft dough is first drawn out to a long pliable string, and then twisted int othe shape of a crown of thorns, and so put into the oven.  The inhabitants of Little Russia make a similar cake, which they call _Kulischi_, but the _Kalatchi_ of the Great Russians is differently shaped.

Pg. 462:  The language of the Jews is a corrupt German.  In the Baltic provinces it resembles that of Prussia, in Galicia that of Austria; and these circumstances semm to indicate the German origin of the Polish Jews, while their costume, on the contrary, would appear to confirm the conjecture that they came originally from Greece.
(A nice discussion of Polish Jews, but I was looking for "Yiddish," "bagel," and "bialy." Oh well--ed.)