Does Southern speech suck?

Tue Apr 2 17:38:30 UTC 2002

Newspaper columnists are a good source of pro and con comments on Southern,
hillbilly, black, etc. speech.  I have an old column by James Kilpatrick
(politely decrying Black English) and one by Mike Royko (mocking BE so
viciously that I wonder why he was so uniformly praised after he died); and
a student recently gave me a column by Bob Sanders of the Opelika-Auburn
News.  Sanders talks nostalgically about the loss of R-lessness in
southern  kids and the loss of final R in his "hillbilly" kin (as in
'winders') and adds "Alas, we're all starting to sound like Peter Jennings."

And long before Clinton, negative comments appeared regularly on LBJ and
Jimmy Carter.