Does Southern speech suck?

Wed Apr 3 00:45:11 UTC 2002

>Ron,

I have an enormous collection  of such pop culture stuff (and some
bits of it are reported on in several article, most copiously I think
my "Where the worst English is spoken," in Edgar Schneider's Focus on
the USA but also in perhaps even more detail in Niedzielski and
Preston, Folk Linguistics).

It's a shame i can't dig through the files; I've been collecting this
stuff for years, but it is not yet organized. If i find a little time
in the next few days I'll send you some of the best (a blurb on
Charle Kurath's retirement is one of my favorites).

I assume your colleague does not want perceptual and social
psychology of language studies since they abound and you are as aware
of them as I am.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston