Contractions vs. full forms...

Thu Apr 4 12:37:07 UTC 2002

>Yes, my buddy T. Daniel Seely and I worked on this problem years
>ago; gave a questionnaire, worked out a series of rules (including a
>variety of influential phonological ones, most prominently the
>restriction aginst any pronunciation  of the /r/ of contracted "are"
>following the final /r/ in "there" at least in /r/-ful dialects).
>Never published the dang thing.

It is hardly "nonstandard," at least in speech. Ahmed Al-Banyan and I
included a test sentence with "There's two men from..." at the
beginning in our study of the treatment of a number of grammatical
shibboleths by undergraduates in an article in a special issue
(Festschrift for Kari Sajavaara) of Studia Anglica Posnaniensia a few
years ago. Exact reference is not handy right now, but the test was
sensitive to style (written, formal, casual, etc...), and the results
pointed to the growing acceptance of such forms (and the surprising
rejection of what I thought were dead horses, e.g., "If I was...).

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages