"I says"

Tom Kysilko pds at VISI.COM
Thu Apr 4 19:44:04 UTC 2002

Not data, but a suggestive example.  My father only uses "I says" when
recounting his WWII experiences.  On one occasion I heard him in a
conversation with old army buddies, and they all spoke that way.  All
stories were told using the narrative present.  And third-person verb forms
followed "I" in most cases:

"Well I gets real p*ssed off; so I goes up the lieutenant, and I says . . ."

 --Tom Kysilko