Macedoine (1794); Bologna & Lapdogs (1780); Humph!

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 8 07:14:37 UTC 2002

THE TRAVEL DIAIRES OF WILLIAM BECKFORD OF FONTHILL
edited with a memoir and notes by Guy Chapman
Printed at the University Press, Cambridge
1928
Kraus Reprint Co., NY
1972

   An OED check for "Beckford" shows 450 hits.
   Still--again--OED missed important stuff.
   The last part of this book (which has "macedoine") appears to be from a 1794 JOURNAL.  The NYPL's catnyp shows that this was edited by Boyd Alexander, and that the manuscript is in the Yale University Library, New Haven, CT.  (See catnyp's "Beckford, William, 1760-1844, JOURNAL.)  OED lists that citation below as "1835 Recoll."

VOLUME ONE
Pg. 32 (1780):  ...I met no cabriolets or tituppings on the chaussee...
(OED has 1785 for "tittup" and 1796 for "tittuping."  OED has 1817 for "chaussee"--ed.)

Pg. 134 (1780):  We traversed a champain country in our way to Bologna, whose richness and fertility encreased in proportion as we drew near that celebrated mart of lap-dogs and sausages.
(Hot dog!--ed.)

VOLUME TWO
Pg. 68 (1787):  Superb embossed gilt salvers supported plates of iced fruit, particularly scarlet strawberries...
(No "ice cream" in this book--ed.)

Pg. 84 (1787):  The old saying, that "_fat paunches make lean pates_," could not, however, be applied to him...

Pg. 104 (1787):  ...a nice collection of iced fruit and sweetmeats...

Pg. 133 (1787):  The saint, it seems, being closely pursued by the father of lies and parent of evil, alias Old Scratch...
(OED has 1740--ed.)

Pg. 158 (1787):  Another hoble-di-hoy, tottering on high-heeled shoes, represented her Egyptian majesty, and warbled two airs with all the nauseous sweetness of a fluted falsetto.
(OED has 1774 for "falsetto"--ed.)

Pg. 190 (1787):  Am I then come into Spain to hear hum-strums and hurdy-gurdies?  Where are the rapturous seguidillas, of which I have been told such wonders?
(OED has 1749 for "hum-strum," 1763 for "seguidilla"--ed.)

Pg. 213 (1787):  ...I fancied the prior looked doubly suspicious, and uttered a sort of _humph_ very doggedly...
(OED has one isolated 1681 citation, but two "humph" appear to date from 1814 and 1815--ed.)

Pg. 276 (1794):  The banquet itself consisted of not only the most excellent usual fare, but rarities and delicacies pf past seasons and distant countries; exquisite sausages, potted lampreys, strange messes from the Brazils, and others still stranger from China (edible birds' nests and sharks' fins), dressed after the latest mode of Macao by a Chinese lay brother.
(OED has 1793 for "sharks' fin."  Second cite for this and "birds' nest"--ed.)

Pg. 276 (1794):  I flattered myself we were going to be favoured with a bolero, fandango, or perhaps the fofa itself,--a dance as decent as the ballets exhibited for the recreation of Muley Liezit, his most exemplary Marocchese majesty.
(OED has 1787 for "volero," so this would be the next citation.  "Fofa"?--ed.)

Pg. 302 (1794):  ..._omelette a la provencale_.

Pg. 303 (1794):  "Now then," rejoined the Prior, clapping his hands in ecstasy, "we shall have that famous dish the admirable Simon promised me,--a macedoine, worthy of Alexander the Great; most happy, most grateful do I feel myself." (...)
   The macedoine was perfection, the ortolans and quails lumps of celestial fatness, and the sautes and bechamels...
(I didn't copy this to page 304.  Merriam-Webster has 1820 and the revised OED has 1822 for "macedoine."  OED has 1796 for "bechamel," but the next cite is this one, dated 1835.  This is 1794, isn't it?  Check it--ed.)

Pg. 312 (1794):  ...the King and his counsellors,--quiet, chatty people, as loyal and complaisant as King Arthur's courtiers, Noodle, Doodle, and Foodle, in the incomparable tragedy of Tom Thumb.