CLEMatiS, cleMAHtis, cleMAYtis

Mon Apr 8 19:47:16 UTC 2002

In Minnesota we said peOHnies; in Ohio it's PEanies.  But here in
southeastern Ohio it's also "pineys", as in central (and presumably
southern?) Indiana.  My newspaper carrier stopped last year to ask me if
she could get some cuttings from my "pineys," and I paused an
embarrassingly long time before her meaning registered--even though I had
heard the term before.