Whoa!, Blue Monday (1806)

Wed Apr 10 21:47:13 UTC 2002

This was actually of some interest to me, as the daughter of a farmer who
used to drive horse teams with the commands "gee!" (=to the right) and
"haw!" (=to the left).  He also used "whoa," of course, as the command to
stop.  I suppose I could look these up, but I'm curious about the apparent
shift from "gee"< 'gehen' and about the 'hup' and 'wey' terms.  But what
the heck is "phthrowh"?

On Blue Monday, the "fraff" should be, I'm sure, "frass," with the original
double S letter used in earlier German printing (I forget what it's called,
but we've talked about this before).  "Fressen" = 'essen' (to eat) with a
vengeance.