SIGNIFICANT OTHER: Increasingly Significant Issue

Yerkes, Susan SYerkes at EXPRESS-NEWS.NET
Wed Apr 10 22:18:33 UTC 2002

Dear Tom:

Speaking as a long-time single, I can tell you that "um, my thing," has
enjoyed increasing popularity in recent years.

But probably the richest phrase comes from a New Yorker cartoon of 4-5 years
back, by Koren, I believe --

Mom, dad, meet this summer's blockbuster!"

A reasonable idea, I think...

Sincerely,
Susan Yerkes

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas J. Pniewski, Director Of Cultural Affairs, Kosciuszko
[mailto:Tompkf at AOL.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 4:18 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: SIGNIFICANT OTHER: Increasingly Significant Issue

Have you and/or your members, or other authorities, addressed the question
of
how to address unmarried companions, of either sex? Boyfriend, companion,
partner, and "significant other" seem to date from the Doris Day era. What
is
the current accepted nonjudgmental term? or, if none, is it time to coin
one?
Thanks so much for your consideration.
Tom Pniewski, Cultural Affairs, The Kosciuszko Foundation, New York