SIGNIFICANT OTHER: Increasingly Significant Issue

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Wed Apr 10 23:27:59 UTC 2002

It seems to me that "partner" (less formal) and "domestic partner"
(more formal) are the terms of choice for gays, lesbians, and
bisexuals.  I'm not usually the first to catch on to newer trends,
though -- maybe others have a different impression.  To my ears,
those terms sound more to the point and less euphemistically
vague than "companion" and less klutzily p.c. than "significant
other."

Joanne Despres