Silent Auction; Forensic Accounting

Duane Campbell dcamp911 at JUNO.COM
Thu Apr 11 02:09:08 UTC 2002

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 21:38:25 -0400 Bapopik at AOL.COM writes:
> SILENT AUCTION--I didn't see this in OED or the WordSpy.  I went to
> one tonight for autism (my nephew has autism).  You write down your
> bids until the auction closes.  There's no auctioneer.  It's an
> established term that should be recorded

A local charity has held a silent auction for at least ten years. Items
are laid out on a tables in a hall that is open all day. Nest to each
item is a pad. If you are willing to pay more than the last person who
wrote a bid, you add your name and bid. I have also heard this called a
Chinese auction.

> I passed on the VAGINA MONOLOGUES tickets.

Good call.