First names

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Fri Apr 12 20:01:54 UTC 2002

When I was a kid--back in the 60's and early 70's, every adult was Mr. or Mrs., unless it was a close friend of the family, in which case I said 'uncle ___' or 'aunt ___' , regardless of relationship to me.  I did notice, though, in the Minnesota (1990's) nearly every kid called all adults by first names, sometimes even teachers in school.  I found this very offensive.  I do not think this is quite as common here in Oregon; but it has changed over the years.
As I said before, some doctors, and especially salesmen, want to bond with and appear friendly to their clients and customers. Obviously, it backfires sometimes. Maybe doctors are trying NOT to be condescending, maybe they are trying to be on my level. Well, I am a doctor (but, of course, not the medical kind), but this is one instance where I want the professional NOT to be on my level--he better know a whole heck of a lot more than I do.

Even though I am now middle aged (and older than my last doctor, I believe)  I still find it difficult to call people who are older than I, especially if I have know them since  I was a kid, by their first names.

Fritz Juengling