First names (was: SIGNIFICANT OTHER)

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Fri Apr 12 22:33:32 UTC 2002

But you have had training in German.  In the US, we pronounce the first syllable as the word 'you', hence something like [juNliN],  with [i] in the latter syllable, rhyming with 'seen', but shorter. Naturally, when I lived in Germany, I pronounced umlaut and the <L> differently.  BTW, it's not umlaut that gives away most Americans who speak good German, it's the pronunciation of <L>.

Fritz Juengling