First names (was: SIGNIFICANT OTHER)

Duane Campbell dcamp911 at JUNO.COM
Fri Apr 12 21:00:18 UTC 2002

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 10:27:45 -0700 "Peter A. McGraw"

> I suppose it's purely a generational thing.  Or does class play a
> role?

Self identification is certainly a class issue. In the 70s I had an
operations manager from a blue collar background. I heard him on the
phone calling a client, and he said, "This is Chuck from Such-and-such."
It was like nails on a blackboard to me.

I had to explain to him that he was either Mr. Smith or Chuck Smith but
never just Chuck when talking to clients. That was the way it was then.
Now it seems much more common.