Raining cats and dogs

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sun Apr 14 17:47:32 UTC 2002

     Whenever I'm asked the origin of " It's raining cats and dogs" I
say that the answer is unknown and none of the guesses are
convincing. How many ads-l members have ever seen a single cat or dog
come floating down the street in a heavy rain that's not an outright
flood?  In a flood, EVERYTHING comes floating down, including people
and houses; there's no need to zero in on just cats and dogs.

     So I will now advance my own guess, FWIW: There's the standard
expression "They fight like cats and dogs," with the reference to the
furious fighting of these two animals. Maybe (and I have no evidence
for this), the rain expression was originally "It's raining like cats
and dogs," (i.e., furiously), then "like" was dropped resulting in
"It's raining cats and dogs."

Gerald Cohen