Cracker (Virginia, 1752?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 14 23:37:30 UTC 2002

   I'm doing some work on "cracker" (Boston Cracker, Trenton Cracker, Common Cracker).  I came across "cracker" (person from the South).
   RHHDAS has 1766, then 1772 for its "cracker."  DARE has the same 1766 citation, then jumps to 1836.
   The VIRGINIA GAZETTE index has this item, from 25 June 1752, pg. 2, col. 2:

   Mr. HUNTER,
   YOU are desired to insert the under-written in your next _Gazette_, from the Gentlemen who have subscribed their Names to them.

_On the humble Demand of a Triumph by_ Dymocke's short, full, and complete _Answer_.
      _A  S Q U I B_
"Each Critic, come! your Squib provide,
"See Pindar there in Triumph ride!"
Since fairly, Freind, you thus Invite;
With due Respect I cast my Mite.
  Whoever reads you, Pindar, over
May have the Pleasure to discover
Your Worms resemble Men so well,
That which is which no Man can tell.
Which makes some People think your Rants
Want _Worming_ like Tobacco-Plants.
But Critics will not be so rude,
To blame so just Similitude.
SO when you Critics praise, pray name us
Your _Hookworms_, for Destruction famous;
And in Return we you will dub
Our _most triumphant_ swaggering _Grub_.
      JACK CRACKER.
(Details of a duel between Pindar and Dymocke follow--ed.)

10 September 1767, PENNSYLVANIA GAZETTE (CD-ROM):
   August 7.  Letter from Silver Bluff, on Savannah River, dated on Tuesday last week, inform us, that a number of the people called Crackers, who live above Augusta, in the province of Georgia, had gone, in a hostile manner, to the Indian Town and settlement at Ohonee...

17 December 1767, PENNSYLVANIA GAZETTE (CD-ROM):
   The Creek Indians complain much of encroachment made on their lands, and when they were told of the outrage, committed by some of their people at St. Mary's River, the headmen answered, "If the governor cannot prevent the Virginia people (Crackers) from taking our lands, how does he think we can restrain our mad young men?"
(...)
   They write from Georgia, that the Creek Indians, who had their homes burnt by the Crackers, are satisfied...

22 May 1770, SOUTH CAROLINA GAZETTE (COLONIAL NEWSPAPERS CD-ROM), pg. 2, col. 3:
   (signed) A. Cracker

9 January 1779, RIVINGTON'S NEW YORK GAZETTE (COLONIAL NEWSPAPERS CD-ROM), pg. 3, col. 3:
   Ye squibs and ye crackers of ev'ry degree
   Be wise, be advised, and take warning by me.

5 January 1782, RIVINGTON'S NEW YORK GAZETTE (COLONIAL NEWSPAPERS CD-ROM), pg. 2, col. 1:
   These kinds of squibs and crackers, which they are continually throwing at the poor Tories, are, perhaps, scarcely noticed by those who are up to their ears and eyes in Concerts, Plays, Balls, and Charades.