stunod

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Mon Apr 15 18:00:43 UTC 2002

Thanks for the cites and reformatting... although it took me a few
moments to realize that each URL goes with the cite above it, separated
by a blank line, rather than the cite below it with no separation
(rearranged below).

The closest I can find in my old Cassell's (newest copyright 1967) is
"stonato, a. Out of tune; jarring, discordant; out of place". More
suggestive is the last definition of "stonare, v.i. [...] to disagree."
But of course Italian dialects can diverge so widely that negative
evidence from this moderate-sized dictionary of standard Italian is no
evidence at all.

Comments interspersed: